Founded in 1972 with the simple act of a mother publicly supporting her gay son, PFLAG is the nation’s largest family and ally organization. Uniting people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) with families, friends, and allies, PFLAG is committed to advancing equality and full societal affirmation of LGBTQ people through its threefold mission of support, education, and advocacy.
PFLAG has over 350 chapters and 200,000 members and supporters crossing multiple generations of American families in major urban centers, small cities, and rural areas in all 50 states. The PFLAG model has spread to countries as far-flung as China and Israel, helping families cope with intolerance, in all its forms. See more at www.pflag.org.
Capturing the oral histories of California PFLAG luminaries will be the beginning of a national project, facilitated by THE LAVENDER EFFECT®, to fully document the PFLAG history of love, support and wisdom for posterity. This is the next step in previous Oral History Projects supported by grants received from California Humanities, The City of West Hollywood and Wells Fargo Bank.
Given the recent passings of Jeanne Manford, PFLAG Founder, and Adele Starr, PFLAG’s first National President, this project is urgently needed.
California PFLAGers embody an over 40 year record of support, education and advocacy for LGBT people and their families. Luminaries across the state, from former PFLAG National Presidents to API pioneer parents, will be recorded at the highest standards possible (i.e., USC Shoah Foundation‘s guidelines) including:
- Marsha Aizumi, PFLAG National Board Member and President of San Gabriel Valley API PFLAG.
- Betty DeGeneres, PFLAG Mom and activist (previously recorded).
- Mitzi Henderson, former PFLAG National President.
- Ellen & Harold Kameya, PFLAG Los Angeles members and API Pioneers.
- Julia & Sam Thoron, President of PFLAG San Francisco and former PFLAG National President.
- Andre Ting, PFLAG San Gabriel Valley Founder and API Pioneer.
- Larry Starr, PFLAG Los Angeles founding member and husband of PFLAG’s 1st National President, Adele Starr
Luminaries will be interviewed and documented by a team of video professionals led by Andy Sacher, Founding Executive and Creative Director. Footage will be professionally transcribed, edited, and viewable worldwide.
Click on image below to Sponsor the California PFLAG Luminaries Project!